Saturday, March 24, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning

I am a firm believer in the philosophy "Everything in moderation." With that said, I am also conscientious of certain things that I eat (or that I serve The Mister), especially the amount of salt we take in. Within the last year, I have become a smarter consumer, reading more and more product labels. And we can get tons of salt in surprising places! Taco seasoning packets were great for convenience for me, but when I read the label I was surprised that there was so much salt AND I didn't even know what a lot of the stuff on the ingredients list was. So I did my due diligence and mixed up my own.

I like to make the taco seasoning in bulk. And I like to save empty spice containers to save my own mixes in (that is how my taco seasoning ended up in a nice glass spice container). There are a lot of recipes out there for homemade taco seasoning. I use my seasoning mix for all tex mex recipes. Queso gets a little dash, fajitas are rubbed down with 2 tablespoons, and a pound of ground beef gets a tablespoon of seasoning.



Here is the Taco Seasoning Mix (for bulk):

1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 Tbs cayenne pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried minced onion flakes
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
3 tsp paprika
2 Tbs cumin
1 Tbs black pepper
1/2 Tbs coarse sea salt


I prefer the shaken, not stirred method no mixing these spices together. What was awesome about that is before I had a nice spice container, I just labeled a ziplock with "Tex Mex Spice mix" and scooped as I needed it.  A tip I read at a few different places and didn't believe it until I tried it is to add 1 tablespoon of regular, boring all purpose flour to ground meat for tacos to let these spices stick better to the meat so you get more flavor.

We use this mix A LOT at our house. I love some delicious tex mex.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you love what you read, leave a comment, question, blogging round of applause, suggestion, or general hello. And while your opinion is respected, those who speak negatively and not to "build one another up in love" will be deleted.

All feedback is manually approved. Please be patient for your comment to appear.