The Mister LOVES peanut butter desserts. His favorite is the peanut butter chip cupcake from Sprinkles. For his birthday, he requested that I make them since we are on a bit of a tight budget and Sprinkles cupcakes just don't squeeze in. So, I went on the bunt for copy cat recipe. Who would have thought that Candace Nelson (Sprinkles founder) had already shared the recipe!
Sprinkles' Peanut Butter Chip Cupcakes
1 cup all purpose flour (unbleached)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
3/4 cup all natural peanut butter, room temperature
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini chips)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and vanilla in a small bowl (or a large enough measuring cup, like I did to save some dishes). Beat sugars and butter in your mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs to the butter and sugar and mix until smooth.
4. Slowly stir in the peanut butter.
5. Slowly add in half of the dry ingredients (the flour bowl).
6. When fully incorporated, add the milk and vanilla mixture and continue to blend slowly.
7. Slowly add in the rest of the dry ingredients on low speed until incorporated.
8. Add in the chocolate chips.
9. Scoop into your paper liners and bake for 22 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
Sprinkles' Peanut Butter Frosting
6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup natural peanut butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
1. Combine sugar and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and vanilla in a bowl.
2. Beat butter and peanut butter in mixer until smooth and creamy.
3. Alternately add sugar and milk mixture until incorporated.
4. If the frosting isn't quite up to snuff, add more milk to make it smoother.
5. Frost your cooled cupcakes to your hearts desire.
The Mister loved his birthday cupcakes. He said they taste exactly like Sprinkles, which means I did it right! I hope this will help you save a little money and make someone happy, too.