We needed to get rid of things we don't like/use/want this year mostly because we are moving. I don't really care about some things hanging around that I don't love until I'm throwing them in boxes and huffing them down stairs to move them somewhere else.
1. Do I like it? I was surprised at the amount of stuff I had that I didn't even like (or that The Mister had that I did not EVER want to see him in - ever).
2. Do I like how I look in it? It's amazing how we keep things in our closets that we don't think we look good in. I had to get that stuff O-U-T.
3. Have I worn it in the last year? This one was a bit tougher to stick to for everything because we didn't have as severe a winter this year as we did last year, so some stuff stayed even though I haven't worn it in the last year because it met all the other criteria.
4. Does it match my style now?
5. If it needs a little loving repair, am I willing to put in the effort now to fix it?
What area had the most casualties? Why, that would be my jewelry box. I had tons of crap in there that I just gathered over the years. I even had The Mister go back through some things after me and give me his opinion, too.
When we had finished, we took our bags to Plato's Closet and Buffalo Exchange to sell what we could and donated the rest.
But, there will definitely be more sorting as we pack up our apartment near the end of this month to move. Anyone else surprised by just how much stuff you kept around for comfort and familiarity, even though you didn't plan on using it or wearing it ever again?