Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring Cleaning - The Closet

My spring cleaning endeavor began during my Spring Break. My biggest (and most obvious) beast to conquer was our closet. Shoes, clothing, bags, and even my jewelry box were sorted through this year.

We needed to get rid of things we don't like/use/want this year mostly because we are moving. I don't really care about some things hanging around that I don't love until I'm throwing them in boxes and huffing them down stairs to move them somewhere else.


So, we got two big bags full o' stuff. I'm not even sure how some of it lasted so long! I went through our closet twice, my bags twice, and my jewelry twice. Here are the guidelines I used to pick and choose what should stay and what should go:

1. Do I like it? I was surprised at the amount of stuff I had that I didn't even like (or that The Mister had that I did not EVER want to see him in - ever).
2. Do I like how I look in it? It's amazing how we keep things in our closets that we don't think we look good in. I had to get that stuff O-U-T.
3. Have I worn it in the last year? This one was a bit tougher to stick to for everything because we didn't have as severe a winter this year as we did last year, so some stuff stayed even though I haven't worn it in the last year because it met all the other criteria.
4. Does it match my style now?
5. If it needs a little loving repair, am I willing to put in the effort now to fix it?

What area had the most casualties? Why, that would be my jewelry box. I had tons of crap in there that I just gathered over the years. I even had The Mister go back through some things after me and give me his opinion, too.

When we had finished, we took our bags to Plato's Closet and Buffalo Exchange to sell what we could and donated the rest.

But, there will definitely be more sorting as we pack up our apartment near the end of this month to move. Anyone else surprised by just how much stuff you kept around for comfort and familiarity, even though you didn't plan on using it or wearing it ever again?

2 comments:

  1. Nice job! Purging is one of the hardest things for me to do. I have to start moving it into other closets before I can get rid of it, and even still it doesn't get ditched for some time. I actually started a pile, that is still sitting on my bedroom floor. God I'm lazy, I need to take a page out of your book, and just do it. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!! I definitely have a difficult time purging, but this time around, I was just sick of moving it all back and forth. So, honestly, I was being more lazy by not wanting to move so much stuff. Haha!!

      Delete

If you love what you read, leave a comment, question, blogging round of applause, suggestion, or general hello. And while your opinion is respected, those who speak negatively and not to "build one another up in love" will be deleted.

All feedback is manually approved. Please be patient for your comment to appear.