Monday, February 13, 2012

Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches

When The Mister began talking about how we needed to go grocery shopping, I went through his usual list - lunch meat, some kind of sliced cheese, power bars, quick breakfast sandwiches...

So I looked to see what we already have and saw eggs, liquid egg whites, sausage patties, bacon, cheese... Only a few ingredients were missing for those breakfast sandwiches we kept buying at a ridiculous high price for convenience. And I never trust what is in the stuff that is kept in the freezer aisle. We have been making the switch to more homemade, from scratch, whole ingredients at home. But with our tiny budget right now and my busy school schedule, we are making the transition slowly.

So, we picked up some english muffins and jelly.

The Mister wanted your standard english muffin, and the cinnamon raisin kind. So, we mixed it up.

First - I love me a time saver. So, the egg whites were measured out and placed in my large muffin tin. If you are using a liquid egg, 1/4 cup equals 1 standard egg. These buddies were slipped into a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, then cooled. I cooked the sausage and bacon in the oven as well on a broiling rack, but for 10 minutes. I prefer cooking it this way because you get to get rid of some of that fat. While those were cooking, I split open my english muffins, measured out my foil, and scooped The Mister up a bowl of ice cream.


See those perfectly round egg whites? There must have been some bubbles in it when I put them in the oven, because there were some awful large mountains of hollow egg white. But that's ok.

The most important part of making anything ahead and then freezing it is to make sure it cools before you start assembling. It is never a good idea to just pop something in the freezer right after it comes out of the oven. 


This is such a fun thing to make because you can absolutely cater it to your liking. Here is my first breakfast sandwich:

Sourdough English Muffin
Egg Whites
Sausage Patty
American Cheese





I am not a fan of freezer burn (but then again, who loves getting psyched about something you pull from the icebox just to bite in to it and get that yucky taste - happened to me with what was supposed to be delicious garlic bread). These puppies were not going to lose their luster, so I wrapped them first in plastic wrap, and then in aluminum foil. The foil also gave me a handy way to label the sandwiches, too. 



Sandwich numero dos didn't sound as traditional to me, but The Mister wanted it! 


My next set of sandwiches had these ingredients:

Cinnamon Raisin sourdough english muffins
1 egg
Sausage Patties or Bacon Strips (I had used up all of the sausage patties, so I finished off the rest of the english muffins with bacon.)
Strawberry Jelly


These were assembled and wrapped up the same way. I grabbed my sharpie and labeled each after I wrapped it so the hubby would know which one he was diggin out of this very cool ice cream container turned freezer storage. 


And there you have it, folks. A quick breakfast sandwich you can just pull out of the freezer, unwrap and microwave while you put on your shoes to go out the door. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you love what you read, leave a comment, question, blogging round of applause, suggestion, or general hello. And while your opinion is respected, those who speak negatively and not to "build one another up in love" will be deleted.

All feedback is manually approved. Please be patient for your comment to appear.